Monday, November 24, 2008

And he was worried about the Tooth Fairy?

The Tooth Fairy was the last of my son's worries concerning his dentist.

I AM SOOO PISSED!

I posted earlier about the dentist pulling out baby teeth that were loose, without notifying Grandma first. When I got home, I could see that the adult teeth were coming in, so no big deal. I was just peeved about it.

Thursday, Bebe took Puppy back to the dentist for another scheduled appointment. He was being sooo good, they decided to take advantage of the time and they worked on a cavity that was not scheduled. Somehow, this extra cavity that was being worked on turned into a Pulpotomy (baby root canal)! NOT only that, the cavity that was done earlier with a permanent filling was redone! They removed the filling and did a full silver crown!!! ALL THIS ON BABY TEETH!

WTF? When did it become OK to perform dental work on a 6 year old without parental consent? None of the work was even on his treatment plan, none of it was scheduled for that day!!!

I exploded when Bebe called me to tell me. I went off when I talked to the office and they tried to turn it around and blame Bebe!

Office person - "Well, are you aware that your husband was invited back and he chose to sit in the waiting area?"

Me - "Excuse me? Are you telling me that this is because of parental neglect? I believe that your office told us on our first visit that things are better for the child and Dr. if we stay in the waiting are and that you would come get us if you needed us for anything. Besides that fact, my son is very mature and has ALWAYS been fine without our supervision while with the Doctor. So, please tell me again, what does my other half being in the waiting room have to do with performing dental work without consent? We were not aware that your Doctor is so incompetent that we must hover."

Office person - "Well, your husband could have come back at any time."

Me - "Once again, was he out of the building at any time during this appointment? Was he down the street getting a coffee? No? Was he getting gas? No? Was he in the bathroom the whole time? No? Well, if so, did you try to contact me? I was the only one answering my cell phone and my shop phone. No? OK, just checking because it sounds to me like you are trying to blame this on parental neglect. Am I clear on that?"

Second phone call later.

Office person - "After talking with the Dr. and the Ass(istant), they clarified that once they started working on the cavity, the infection was so deep that they had to open up the tooth and then it was too late and it became an emergency situation in which they had to work on the tooth immediately and couldn't call your husband in to tell him what was happening."

Me - "Was my son dying? Was he bleeding to death, blood squirting profusely from the mouth? Was he having a seizure and thrashing on the ground? What other excuses do you have for me? I will tell you now, if you are to continue with giving me excuses, DO NOT call me again. There is no excuse for what your office has done today. I am sure that my son was numb and perfectly fine at the time your Dr. was performing the dental work. I am not that stupid."

Office person - "Well, I am sorry this has gotten this far out of hand. Is there anything we can do right now?"

Me - "No. There is nothing your office can do or say at this point."

As if all this isn't bad enough? They demanded $600 from Bebe that day. They told him he would have to pay a portion at least and then the rest by the end of the month, fees, collections, etc! We will see about that.

OK, apparently I am still just as mad as I was last week. I thought I could give it a couple of days and deal with it enough to write about it, but I can't. I am still pissed.

I am looking into my options right now. Any dental malpractice attorneys out there?

So far, I have talked with Washington State's Dental Quality Assurance Commission and we are filing a claim. I have also talked to one attorney.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

That situation is unacceptable! I hope you are looking for a new dentist!

Gabrielle said...

We are looking at new dentists already. However, Puppy has some bleeding going on and a new dentist won't see him with the current situation without his files and of course, I am having issues with getting that on the spot! It just gets worse and worse!!! AAAHHH! Anyhow, I know that things will work out for us. I will make sure of that!

Mrs. Match said...

Wow that is just awful! There is no way you should pay that bill-how ridiculous. I hope you get the justice you deserve!

Gabrielle said...

Thank you, Date Girl! I have gotten solid advice from 3 different attorneys now. I am not looking to cash in, but I am going to make sure that Puppy's teeth are healthy and NOT pay that particular dentist a single penny! Our situation is a definite malpractice claim, so we will have to see where it goes.

Spirit Vapors said...

OMG HOW HORRIBLY FRUSTRATING! honestly I would never have thought about a situation like this one but now it seems so completely obvious, duh! children and old people, two easy to abuse populations... (dealing right now with my grand father's problems... same thing, well, similar let's say) - I wish you to resolve this as quickly and painlessly as possible!!

Gabrielle said...

Thank you for your support, A Fair Fairy. I am going to post an update for everyone. It's nice to know that there are others rooting for us.