Monday, December 8, 2008

One Doll+One Elephant = One Woman

Hello!

Today, I want to share a story about myself and what I am passing on to my son, Puppy.

I came to the United States with my family back in 1975. Our family included my Grandmother from my Father's side, my Mother, my Nanny, my 3 sisters, my brother and me. We were one of the larger families to immigrate, so we waited a long time in the military camp for a family to sponsor us. Eventually 2 Baptist families sponsored us together.

My fondest memories of toys at Xmas time is being 3 and being able to pick out my own toys. I chose a little doll and a plush elephant. Even then, I didn't like what everyone else had. I chose an African American doll, yes, back in 1975! She had the best curly hair!!! I loved my doll. My elephant was no ordinary elephant, he was a great big PURPLE elephant. LOL

My toys came from a local toy donation event.

My Father, being an educated man was able to get a job with the State immediately. My Mother took English classes at night and cleaned trailers during the day. She endured this for one year. I did not know how much this really meant until I grew up. My Mother was a woman who had cooks, nannies, chauffeurs in her other life. I think it is hardest when one is spoiled beyond imagination and loses it all to start over.

So, back to those toys. They were the best! I still remember them, vaguely since I was so young. They must have been special since I still remember them 33 years later. I think that as a small child, almost 4, you "feel" how special things are by the adults surrounding you. I don't know what the adults were thinking or feeling that day. I only have my interpretation of it.

I took Puppy out shopping to make his Christmas List for this year. When he was done making his list, he chose 2 big monster trucks for the "giving tree" at his school. There is a tree in the library and the children will be able to give gifts for children in need this Thursday on "library day". One truck was purchased by me, as an example for my child. One truck was purchased by Puppy with his "golden dollars" from his "Dinosauraus Bank". Puppy earns a dollar from us for every 5 stickers we put in his school calendar for getting himself ready for school and bed-time without our nagging or help to do so. It is amazing how hard it is to get it right in the morning and at night on the same day! LOL

Let me say that Puppy is no Angel, so he didn't really "want" to do this. I had to say to him, "Puppy, you are very fortunate to have a beautiful home to live in. You are very fortunate to have all the toys, movies, games...do I need to go on?" He shakes his head and says, "No. I know, Mama."

Me - "How would you feel if Christmas came and we just couldn't get you one single gift because we didn't have the money to?"

Puppy - "Sad."

Me - "How would you feel if no one wanted to help us get you a present?"

Puppy - tears streaming down his face. "Sad. I am sorry Mama, I would really like to get a toy for the boy who doesn't have one yet."

Me - tears in my eyes, "Thank you, Baby for making me so proud. I am very happy that you understand what it means to give this year."

I am happy that when it came time to do it, he didn't just do it reluctantly, he wanted the "bestest looking" trucks with the "coolest" monster stickers on the sides!

Bebe drove down to Oregon and did his thing. He joined the hundreds on their motorcycles for the 29Th Annual Toy Run to benefit the Shriners Hospital for Children.

I did my thing. I picked up 2 stars from the "giving tree" at the bank near my shop. I got a girl and a boy. I have to say, normally I just get a girl who is asking for something that relates to jewelry since it is a passion of mine, or make-up another passion of mine (use to be a make-up artist). In picking out my girl's star this year, I noticed a boy's star. Body wash. That is what he wanted. That is all he wanted??? I asked Bebe to help me choose for a 13 year old boy. He got body wash, a cool black Loofa and a toiletry bag. Cool!!! I put in a couple of different chapsticks and a couple of different types of gum.

I know that it wasn't much in comparison to some, but I think that if everyone who could, did, it would make a huge difference. It's not a question of how much, it's why not? I don't know what any of the children and their families are facing in their lives or why, I just know that my family had it all and lost it all and what we endured to get where we are today. The gift of giving certainly played a huge role in shaping me and making me the woman I am today. I thank the persons who donated that doll and that elephant to one little girl in a whole new world. Most of all, I thank the families for sponsoring others.

Thank you for giving!

6 comments:

Mrs. Match said...

What a heartwarming story. Perfect for Christmas!

Gabrielle said...

Thank you, Date Girl. My shopping trip was still on my mind today when I got to work...always trying to shape Puppy into a man any girl would be lucky to have.

Spirit Vapors said...

It is indeed a wonderful story. Inspired, Inspiring. At so many levels, your parents, your childhood, your relationship, your son. A kaleidoscope of stories... thank you for sharing.

Gabrielle said...

Thank you. I am happy to see that some of you are enjoying my latest post!

Sarah said...

Wonderful story! Thank you for sharing it!

Gabrielle said...

Thank you!