Friday, December 12, 2008

NOOO MORE, please?

OK, so I own a boutique. I don't have much to say about it because this blog was not created for business, but for my own pleasure. I am going to write one for the shop after the new year, but for now...I have got to vent!

NOOO MORE, please?

I don't think I can take 12 more days of people coming in and saying crazy things to me!

Shopper - "I hope you don't go out of business like so many others right now."
Me - "Well, hmmm, can't say I see that happening!"
Me thinking - Happy Holidays to you too! Buy something so I won't!

Shopper - "Will this sale get any better?"
Me - "I'm sure it will after Christmas, maybe when we clear out for the season."
Me thinking - What's wrong with my sale? It's a pretty good one! Isn't this a good sale?
Same Shopper - "Well, this is nice, but I don't want to spend that much."
Me - "Boutiques aren't exactly known for their great prices. We have many unique items and you won't be able to find any of them at a department store."
Me thinking - No one dragged you in here! It says Boutique!
Same Shopper - "I think it's worth $50, but not $75. How about $50?"
Me - "I'm sorry. Again, we are a boutique and I do have set prices. I thank you for coming in and the fact that you like that particular item is a compliment, but I just am not going to make a deal. Maybe it will still be here when we do our clearance if you are still interested then. Would you like to leave your number and I can give you a call?"
Me thinking - Hell no, I am not a flee market. This is NOT China town!

Shopper - "Um, I'm re-thinking this outfit we purchased."
Me - "Sure, let me take a look at what you have in your bag."
Me thinking - didn't you buy something over a month ago?
Same Shopper - "I don't have the receipt, we just bought it."
Me - "I vaguely remember you purchasing something over a month ago, unless you came in when I wasn't here?"
Me thinking - When am I not here?
Same Shopper - "Well, it's damaged."
Me - "OK, well, let's take a look then."
Me thinking - What? OK, Lady, looks like you have washed it a gazillion times, there's even a hole and it's not just a hole, snagged on something???
Me - "As you already know, we have a 14 day exchange and we don't accept returns. I will usually make exceptions, depending on what the item is and what the situation is. As an exception, this one time only, I will exchange for the same outfit, in the same size. Would you like me to grab it for you?"
Me thinking - Eat the cost, live with it...but, let me guess, you want a different one or a new outfit!
Same Shopper - "Well, how about the next size up or something else?"
Me - "No, I'm sorry. I will not do that."
Me thinking - What? So it doesn't fit, you shrunk the hell out of it? You got bored with it?
Same Shopper - "Well, that's crappy customer service. At so and so, and so and so, they don't have a problem."
Me - "Well, I am sorry you feel that way. I actually have a more lenient policy then most boutiques. Since you have mentioned shopping at such and such, and such and such, you do know that my policy is more lenient then."
Me thinking - Uhhh...NO. YOU. WILL. NOT. GET. WHAT. YOU. WANT.
Same Shopper - "Fine then, I will take the exchange and I won't shop you ever again."
Me - "Ok then, we will go ahead and take care of this, this one time, for you."
Me thinking - Good riddance, don't let the door hit your ass on the way out!

Who needs shoppers like these???

Seriously, I am super nice to my customers. I LOVE people and love getting to know them and their families. I know their names!

I DO NOT like rude people and I do not like people who try to take advantage of me!

5 comments:

So@24 said...

Damn, you could dedicate an entire blog to just the stories of owning a boutique

Gabrielle said...

I know! I really had to try and stop when I did. I could have gone on and on and on! Hahaha, actually, right after I posted, I got a customer in looking for something - "Hi! You know, I was in a couple of years ago and you had this wonderful blah, blah, blah... TWO years ago???

Anonymous said...

I work in customer service and have found that people will always try to get something for nothing, and that they will also speak what's on their mind, no matter how rude they are!

I've tried to let things go, but the temper in me can't. :)

Gabrielle said...

Diana, Welcome! I am right there with you! I usually get to a point where I can laugh and joke about it, but sometimes there's just that ONE customer who really gets to me!

Sarah said...

I can't believe people would do that. Ok yes I can believe it. There are a lot of awful people out there. Some people are more trouble than they are worth. Let those people shop somewhere else.