Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Dad!

As I have mentioned before, my Father is 74 years old. He has lived a very FULL life. He is getting a little fuzzy I think. Here are some examples.

Me - "Dad, Mom mentioned that you wanted to borrow Bebe's car to pick up Puppy from school tomorrow. Bebe will pick him up."

Dad - "Why do I need to borrow a car?"

Me - "Mom has that massage therapy apt. remember?"

Dad - "Your Mom can pick him up."

Me - "No, she will be too late after her appointment."

Dad - "I can pick him up. I pick him up every day."

Me - "I know, Dad. You and Mom only have one car?"

Dad - "I will borrow Bebe's car."

Me - "You can't borrow Bebe's car. It's a rental. You aren't on the rental agreement. He will pick up Puppy."

Dad - "Bebe needs his sleep because he works the graveyard shift tomorrow. Your Mom can pick up Puppy."

Me - "Dad, Bebe said that he would pick up Puppy tomorrow."

Dad - "OK, but I don't see why I can't pick him up like I always do."

It is really exhausting. It's hard to explain to my 4 other siblings when none of them see him as often as my Mother and I do.

On another day, I filled his kettle with hot water to make his tea. It whistles.

Dad - "Your water's done."

Me - "It's for your tea, Dad."

I turn off the stove and go to the bathroom. I come out to find my Father pouring the boiling water down the drain, only to refill it and set it on the stove and turn it back on. ???

The very next day from this incident, he boils water and then goes outside. I turn off the stove and pour the water into his tea thermos. He comes in the house an hour later and boils more water!

Dad!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

That's so sad! I think it's especially hard to see parents be vulnerable. At least he has a pleasant attitude.

Gabrielle said...

It is really sad. He does have the best attitude. He chuckles a lot! Sometimes, I wonder if he's doing it on purpose and laughing at us!