Monday, December 15, 2008

Dad?

OK, my 74 year old Father is really scaring me.

Yesterday, we have this weird "this is not happening" conversation.

Dad - "Since your car is behind mine and you're not leaving right now, do you want me to move it?"

Me - "Uh, sure! Thanks!"

Dad - Walks out the door. Walks back in. "This is the remote to unlock it, but where's the key?"

Me - "Huh? Oh, I don't have a key. It's a smart key, remember?"

Dad - "Oh, OK." Walks out the door. Walks back in. "OK, so I unlocked the car. Where's the key so I can drive it?"

Me - Really worried at this point. "Dad, you don't need a key. Just put this in your pocket and pretend there's a key, turn and it will start."

Dad - "Oh, OK. Wow, cars with no keys."

This is where the scary part comes in. My Dad drives my car alll the time to run to the corner Gas station for lotto tickets or to the grocery store for bread, etc. In fact, I had just gotten there and he took my car since it was "still warmed up" just the weekend before!

11 comments:

Sarah said...

That's so scary! And painful to have to see your dad going through that.

Mrs. Match said...

Merry Christmas! I'm sorry to hear about your dad-it's a scary illness isn't it?

Gabrielle said...

Thank you, Ladies. It is really painful and scary. It just seems to grow worst with each day. We have tried talking to him about it, but he just doesn't want to hear us. He refuses to go get a check up with a doctor to see what we can do to slow it down.

Sarah said...

FYI Present for you over on my blog

Gabrielle said...

Thanks! ;-)

Angi said...

I feel your pain. We're going through the same thing with my dad, only he's only 60. Won't see the doctor, won't get help, most of the time won't even admit there's something wrong! Sucks, big time.

Gabrielle said...

Welcome! Thank you for your support. It is a hard thing to take in day to day, every day. It just seems like he crossed over a line one day and there's no turning back! It is progressing so rapidly.

Stacie said...

I feel for you and cannot imagine how hard this is for you! I am so afraid for my own parents. We are just dealing with hearing loss right now. Good luck!

Gabrielle said...

Hello! Welcome, and thank you for the kind words. Hearing loss is also a new one for us with my Dad, we have gotten use to talking louder or just repeating things...also hard to accept. I have to say, your writing is FABULOUS, absolutely amazing writing!!!

Stacie said...

Thanks for the encouragement! I always need it.

Gabrielle said...

LOL - I don't know if you have read my other blog, but I have been contacted by a publisher and I may be taking a break from the blog world on the writing end for a little while. I hope you are planning to publish if you haven't already!!!